It’s not new that I am a really big fan of super well integrated platforms and given the really fragmented offering in Ag Tech in North America, I have always been advocating for “the universal easy button” to help farming be efficient, sustainable and profitable. Yet the reciprocal cultural hurdles are way higher than I ever imagined. From the usual “you’re not from Ag” to downright universal tech skepticism, here are a few of the best Ag quotes I have been able to gather over the past few years
9. I thought you said I could fix all my problems with your imagery!
8. You can’t have all my data because I lost it in one of my hundreds of USB drives.
7. When you said calibrate my data, you didn’t even ask if I knew what the heck I was doing? Can I still send you 100 files from the last four years with two different types of combines? Oh, also my neighbor helped. I’ll take that free hat now.
6. We just raised $10 million and said “artificial intelligence” so will you pay us $5 per acre?
5. So, my super high-res imagery doesn’t work on my monitor and I ran out of storage since I have like 10,000 pictures. Also, after losing the third drone, the fourth one is free, right?
4. SSURGO? Sounds more like “Sure, go ahead and waste my money on that really bad soil/VRA map!” Wait, I get free VRA maps and a year subscription? I’ll take it!
3. If you think machine learning is cool, try losing thousands of dollars by switching your agronomy decision to someone like GEICO!
2. Oh cool, another sensor to put on my ground. But wait, look at that, a free plastic rain gauge with calendar. What does yours do better? “Tells you the future…” Awesome, here is $1,500.
1. “It’s unlikely but there is a small chance this data from this machine will work in this other machine you may just need to spend another 10k on this system instead.”
Here’s the only solution that will work: the winning strategy is to build an all-in-one, API driven, open ag platform that is field-based, features a mix of actual data and synthetic modeling toward digital twins and delivers accurate predictive recommendations with the best easy button in the industry.
Let me know what you think!
My name's phil mora and I write about the things I love: fitness, hacking work, tech and anything holistic.
Head of Product
thinker, doer, designer, coder, leader
head of product in colorado. travel 🚀 work 🌵 food 🍔 rocky mountains, tech and dogs 🐾